The Lower Elementary Community
The Lower Elementary program provides an academic continuum for the advancing Montessori student. Lower elementary teachers create learning opportunities that allow students to experience an increased level of academic challenge and responsibility. The classroom is carefully prepared and speaks to the 11 human tendencies for discovery and learning, as identified by Maria Montessori: orientation, order, exploration, communication, activity, manipulation, work, repetition, exactness, abstraction, and perfection. This program capitalizes on the love of learning cultivated during the primary years and offers a dynamic learning environment that promotes independence, collaboration, exploration and experimentation. While concepts continue to be introduced through concrete materials, students begin moving toward abstract learning. Classroom projects are often student-led and inquiry-based, requiring the children to demonstrate understanding in a variety of ways. The combination of the integrated Montessori curriculum and the inspirational, respectful classroom atmosphere creates a joyful learning environment that primes children for life-long learning success.
Lower Elementary Highlights:
- Concrete and abstract learning opportunities
- Weekly work plans help students track progress and develop time management skills
- Integrated curriculum opportunities that span across curriculum areas: mathematics including geometry and fractions, language studies that comprise of grammar, syntax, spelling, word study, reading and writing mechanics. Also presented and researched are history, physics, biology, cultural and physical geography
- Lower Elementary studies also include biology, zoology, world cultures, geography, history, geometry, continent studies, and environmental studies
- Field trips and guest speakers enhance the curriculum
- Spanish small group lessons several times each week
- Art and music opportunities are incorporated weekly within the curriculum
- P.E. and student community service projects weekly
- Opportunities to sharpen conflict resolution skills through peace talks, behavior reflections, class meetings and voting opportunities
Our lower elementary students attend Monday-Friday from 7:40 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Please contact our administrative office or call 479.217.9424 to schedule a tour.