The toddler community provides a lovely, nurturing, “home away from home” environment for children 18 months – 3 years of age. Students learn and grow as individuals and participate in cooperative groups with other children. There is a pervasive feeling of joy and discovery in the toddler classrooms.
Each environment is carefully prepared and speaks to the 11 human tendencies for discovery and learning as identified by Maria Montessori: orientation, order, exploration, communication, activity, manipulation, work, repetition, exactness, abstraction, and perfection. The routine and materials meet the toddler’s growing emotional and cognitive abilities during this formative period for the development of personality, trust, independence, focus, self-esteem and problem solving. Toddlers are able to develop and refine sensory perceptions, gross and fine motor abilities, and language skills. The classroom structure provides opportunities for social interactions, which reinforce the grace and courtesy lessons. Toddlers practice daily taking turns, being patient and being a good friend. Toddler teachers provide warmth, patience, consistency and the encouragement necessary for each child to reach their personal best.
- Children are free to explore and find works that spark their interest in a safe, nurturing, and carefully prepared environment
- Montessori materials promote exploration and experimentation
- The 2-hour morning work cycle helps to develop the child’s ability to concentrate and focus
- Access to the toddler outdoor classroom, playground and nature walks during the morning work-cycle
- Spanish and Music opportunities with specialists.
- Toddlers gain independence and develop practical life skills such as how to pour their own water, offer a friend a hand shake, serve themselves a snack, put on their coat, blow their nose, clean-up a spill, and toilet-train.
Our toddler students attend school Monday–Friday in either our half-day (7:40 a.m.-11:15 a.m.) or full-day program (7:40 a.m.-2:55 p.m.).
Prospective students will be asked to visit the toddler classroom prior to enrollment.